Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Tests this week and preliminary results

So, I gave a test this week.  Two, actually.  One in Algebra and one in Geometry.

In Geometry, I felt really good when I handed the test out.  I felt like I had given the kids plenty of feedback on their work, and lots of practice.  I didn't do a review day (which I dislike anyway), but I felt that we had still spent time learning and practicing what we needed to learn and practice.  I felt good about the test I wrote.  It seemed fair and that it would provide a good reflection on the students' understanding.

When I handed out the test the next day in Algebra, I didn't have the same feeling.  I'm teaching a new unit that I just created, and it's iffy.  I knew exactly what I wanted the kids to end the unit knowing and doing.  I wasn't sure about how to teach that and even less sure about how to assess that.  I wrote and gave out a test anyway.  We'll see how they do.

I paused grading the Geometry exams to write this post.  So far, scores are either really high or really low, mostly even split.  I'm not sure what to do with that. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend class time re-teaching when half of them have it, and I'm not willing to move on if half of them don't have it.   Ideally, I could re-teach half of my class, while the other half stayed home or something.  Wouldn't that be great?

I am more than a little disappointed with those Geometry scores.  Post coming soon about how class time went during this unit, and my ideas about what to change/fix/keep.  Also a post on Algebra results.


No comments:

Post a Comment