Thursday, August 2, 2012

First Day Plans

I'll be teaching Algebra 1 and Geometry this year, just like last year.  (I'm going into my 5th (!) year of teaching, and this is the first year I'll be teaching the same thing as last year.)

I'm planning on leaving much of Geometry how it is, and I want to try to change up Algebra quite a bit.  Part of it is changing over to Common Core.  Part of it is that I really like Algebra, and I think I can make it so much more than it was this past year.

So, to introduce the class, we're going to start off with a problem!  Yes, math - math that requires you to think - on the first day.  I'm stoked.

I uploaded the handout I created on Scribd, and here's the link.  I don't know how to embed the document here.  Can anyone help me?

Anyway - I am planning on modeling one example for my students, and then setting them free.  I created cards with various patterns, all with simple expressions like 2x + 3, and am going to give a different one to each group.  Then I'll have them share their patterns and expressions with the class.

I'll let you know how it goes.


1 comment:

  1. Starting with patterns seems like a really nice idea. It definitely sets up a lot of math-thinking that I imagine you're looking to build over the year. I'm starting my year with doing some actual sort of math too (this is the worksheet I wrote up: http://www.scribd.com/doc/104802930/Text-Message-Book).

    Regarding embedding -- I've been using wordpress instead of blogger so I probably just don't know what I'm talking about, but I think that if you click on the 'Embed' button at the top of the document, you can just copy the HTML code into your post wherever you'd want the worksheet to appear. Again, I can't really validate that as I've only ever used the wordpress embedding code.

    -Meghan

    ReplyDelete