Friday, November 18, 2011

Teacher Standards Focus

My principal gave me a list of ten teacher standards.  She said she wanted every teacher to focus on standard #7 this year, and she also wanted me to read through them and pick two others that I personally would like to focus in on this year.

This is part of my annual teacher evaluation, BTW.  I really like this approach to evaluations, I'll have to write a post about that soon....

For this post, though, here are the standards I'll be focusing on this year:

#3: Learning Environments.  The teacher works with others to create environments that support individual and collaborative learning, and that encourage positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self motivation.

#5: Application of Content.  The teacher understands how to connect concepts and use differing perspectives to engage learners in critical thinking, creativity, and collaborative problem solving related to authentic local and global issues.

#7: Planning for Instruction.  The teacher plans instruction that supports every student in meeting rigorous learning goals by drawing upon knowledge of content areas, curriculum, cross-disciplinary skills, and pedagogy, as well as knowledge of learners and the community context.

More to follow, including a self-reflection on where I am now, and how I plan to move forward in these areas this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment